Jaire Alexander looks to build off ‘great starting point’

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
coqgeihmt9axhieimseo

Right now, Jackson is rotating inside at the nickel spot with veteran Tramon Williams, who has moved back to cornerback after finishing last year at safety.

“I feel a lot more confident, for sure,” Jackson said. “I think that’s the main thing just building those relationships, building that chemistry so I feel a lot more confident and I’m ready to go, ready to go out there and make plays.”

Jason Simmons, the longest-tenured assistant on the Packers’ staff who is in his second year as the defensive backs coach, likes the competition that’s brewing, with second-year cornerback Tony Brown and sixth-round draft pick Ka’Dar Hollman also competing for playing time.

As much as Alexander, King and Jackson were drafted to be the future of the secondary, Simmons expects Williams, Hollman and the rest of the room to push them.

“The one thing that’s my job is to make sure with some of the success that both of (the rookies) had that they don’t get complacent,” Simmons said. “That they know in this league you either get better or get worse. I’ll continue to challenge them. I’ll continue to challenge both of the guys to get better, because there are people behind them that are trying to take their spot.”

One of the first things Matt LaFleur said after being introduced as the Packers’ new head coach in January is he expects Green Bay to be a ball-hawking defense. As players settle into Mike Pettine’s scheme, LaFleur is confident the defense will get there.