Jaycee Horn, Other Prospects Could Kickstart New Cornerback Era For Cardinals

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
lrfhxzndfwjh7yl9far9

The Cardinals have traded away three of their first six picks in the draft, but still have their first- and second-rounders. Cornerback is currently the biggest need on the roster, and even if a veteran or two is added in free agency, it is a spot where youth would be coveted.

Horn will likely be one of the first two cornerbacks off the board, along with Alabama's Patrick Surtain II. While Surtain has been connected to the Cardinals as well, most prognosticators see him being taken before No. 16.

Virginia Tech's Caleb Farley previously rounded out the Big Three, although back surgery could push him down the draft board, depending on medical evaluation.

Asante Samuel, Jr. is generally regarded as the fourth-ranked cornerback and would love to jump into the first round, although some see him as a slot cornerback because he is 5-foot-10.

"I feel that I'm a dominant corner on the outside," Samuel said, per USA Today. "They try to look at my height and things of that nature, but I'm the same size as Jaire Alexander, and he's a dominant NFL cornerback right now – one of the best in the league. I feel like size doesn't matter; it's about the heart, and the dog mentality you have on that field."

The Cardinals choose at No. 49 overall in the second round and could be looking at cornerbacks there if they choose a different position in the first round. Northwestern's Greg Newsome, Central Florida's Tay Gowan, Georgia's Tyson Campbell and Syracuse's Ifeatu Melifonwu are viewed among the next tier of cornerback prospects available.

The Cardinals seem likely to target a cornerback at some point in the draft, and Horn believes every team should be taking a close look at him in the first round.

"I'm versatile," Horn said. "I've got the size. I've got the speed. Athletic. I've faced every receiver body type, from (tight end) Kyle Pitts to (speedster) Elijah Moore to (Heisman Trophy winner) DeVonta Smith. I feel like I'm the defensive player in the draft."

Continue reading...