Jefferson & Cousins Use Robots to Connect with Youth

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
vnxjtxs615zimzagynod

"It was a lot of fun. I've always seen the Boys & Girls Clubs over commercials and everything, but to actually be a part of it and actually see the smiling faces on kids, it's a great feeling to have," Jefferson said. "Them doing the dance and being that figure in their eyes and the person that they look up to, the person that they see on a high level, that's a good feeling to have.

"I remember when I was like that, looking up to the players that were in the NFL when I was younger," Jefferson added. "It's definitely a long time for me to see this moment, and I'm grateful to be where I am."

The dance party wasn't the only highlight of the day, as Cousins — who was on a different wheeled robot — popped by a classrooms of questions to check in on the 30 kids and their schoolwork.

As Cousins and Jefferson weaved in and out of rooms, kids ranging from kindergarteners to teenagers were buzzing that a pair of Vikings had stopped by to say hello.

"It's something different from their normal routine," said Boys & Girls Clubs Twin Cities Senior Director of Corporate and Public Relations Tim Schober. "It's been challenging times for our young folks with distance learning.

"We're able to take some kids here at the club on a daily basis, but it's far fewer kids than we normally serve so we can make sure we're safe," Schober added. "They're working hard, so having the Vikings here to recognize that is really special. We're here to make sure the kids are able to log in for classes with their schools and assist teachers where they may need a little added help."