Joe Ellis, Vic Fangio outline ideal qualities for future Broncos GM

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
po2m4gel5xwg9llmnbcq

Fangio said he believes coaches and general managers working together in player and roster evaluation has become more common in recent years, and he expects that to continue as the new GM is "in charge" of free agency, the draft, the salary cap and other roster matters.

"We've had a role in [personnel decisions] here the last two years," Fangio said. "I think that will depend upon who we hire and how they envision running the evaluation process. But in this day and age with the teams changing so much even year to year — even the really good teams to teams not with the good records — it behooves you to have the coaches involved so there's a vision and a consensus of how the player fits."

Fangio said he'll be involved in the search process, even if he doesn't make the "ultimate decision" on who to hire. He'll make his strong feelings known, and he said Tuesday he believes a successful GM will remain resolute in their vision.

"The guys that have a vision of what the team should look like in conjunction with the coaching staff and never veering from that vision," said Fangio of what he's seen from successful GMs. "It's always easy and sexy sometimes to veer away from what you think is your ultimate blueprint for a team and sometimes you got to resist that. Then by the same token, maybe there is a chance or two that you might be able to take, but you have to be educated and they have to be good chances that everybody's on board with."

That doesn't mean, of course, that there will be not some creative friction between Fangio and the new general manager.

"I don't think you're ever going to find, and it's never been anywhere I've been, even where it's been successful, that you're going to find two people that agree on everything all the time," Fangio said. "Just as long as there's good conversation, a healthy hashing it out and coming to a decision for the Denver Broncos that we're all on board with is the important thing."

The Broncos will look for a candidate that can fulfill all those qualifications and roles — and Ellis believes whoever chooses to accept the position will be positioned for success.

"I think this is an attractive job and I believe this is a good place to work," Ellis said. "I believe people want to work here. There are only 32 GM jobs. I feel good about our organization, the people that work here, how we conduct ourselves. I recognize we haven't won. I recognize that there are questions about ownership.

"But if you're a candidate that wants to succeed and wants to be great and do great things, you're going to take a job and this is going to be a place where you can succeed because we will give you the resources."