Jonathan Stewart reflects on a memorable career in Carolina

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
nrlmvhp8ousqhlvuwq9d

Stewart brought a lot to the table. A rare blend of speed and power, he was a nightmare for defenses to corral.

He relentlessly fought through contact to gain every possible inch.

“I would hope they’d say he was the last of dying breed. A guy who did his job and gave it everything he had. And he ran with purpose,” Stewart said when asked how he hopes fans remember him as a player. “At the end of the day, that’s the best compliment I could receive – that I ran with purpose. Because I did.

“God gave me the ability to run and the size that I have. I had the passion to put it all out there every time I stepped on the field. It was definitely running with purpose.”

There are tons of examples of Stewart running with purpose throughout his career. But his favorite highlight came courtesy of his Monday Night Football debut against Tampa Bay during his rookie season in 2008.

Late in the game, he bounced outside and found himself one-on-one with decorated Buccaneers cornerback Ronde Barber. Stewart delivered a legendary stiff-arm and literally bounced Barber off the turf.