Josh Myers learning all he can in quest to be Packers' starting center

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ngze5odhkffffubw6kzw

"At center, that's what I love about it," he said. "You're just forced to know everything, so it can be harder on the front end because there's so many things going through your head when you get a play call. But on the back end, I think it's an advantage because I know everything that's going on around me."

His health is in a good place, too. As he finished his college career, Myers played through an extremely painful toe injury that eventually required surgery, and he was still mixing rehab into his workouts as recently as rookie minicamp.

He said last week's minicamp, with three consecutive, longer practices, was an important test he passed physically, so he anticipates no limitations when training camp hits full speed.

As he looks to replace fellow Ohio State alum Corey Linsley as the offense's next starting center, Myers would help the Packers answer a lot of questions up front as the team waits for All-Pro left tackle David Bakhtiari to return.

If Myers proves he's up for the top job, guards Elgton Jenkins and Lucas Patrick would get a little taken off their respective plates. A possible fill-in for Bakhtiari on the blind side already, Jenkins wouldn't have to concern himself with potentially returning to his college position in the middle. Meanwhile Patrick could focus the bulk of his energies at guard, if Jenkins indeed moves to tackle temporarily.

It's a puzzle with as many pieces as solutions right now, but Myers could help simplify the process as he studies and restudies the offense over the next month and a half.

"Every day we're getting new plays thrown at us, and then once we finish an install then we're going back through all those plays over and over again," he said. "So now I'm just getting repetition. Nothing is new, and I just feel good."