Justin Jefferson Can Chase Randy Moss Milestone Against Bears

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
ge3zwt5nfq8mm3dpofdo

Opting against rushing extra defenders frees up resources for Chicago's secondary to focus on pass coverage.

"Having a safety over the top or having the defense bracket you, it's a little difficult at times," Jefferson reiterated. "But we just have to keep fighting and keep trying to find ways to get open."

He later said he studies film "very closely" after being especially limited by a defense.

"You just try to figure out the things that you could do next time in order to get open if [a] defense tried to play you the same way," Jefferson explained. "Just like coaches always say, this is a copycat league, so the things that you put on tape, you'll be expecting that the next few weeks coming up.

"So I definitely have to see what I can do better on those different coverages," he added. "I definitely have to get open on those and give Kirk a better look."

Cousins, who also spoke with media Wednesday, explained how defenses have approached Jefferson as the season has progressed.

"As defenses have more film of our offense and how we've incorporated him, being aware of how they want to defend him," Cousins said. "That's where it's a different conversation, [when] Adam was [on the Reserve/COVID-19 list] then maybe teams would hone in on Justin a little bit more than when you have them both.

"And then going back to personnel groupings and just being aware of how they defend us with Justin when we're in our base personnel, but then when we're in three wide receivers vs. having two tight ends," Cousins continued. "Just all those different variables. But they'll have a plan and they'll know where he is, and we'll have to get a sense as the game goes just like they'll be doing the same with us."

Sunday will mark Jefferson's 14th NFL game, and he was asked about hitting any type of rookie wall that first-year players sometimes experience after shorter collegiate campaigns. LSU did play 15 games on the way to its perfect season in 2019, but the Tigers had a three-week gap between winning the SEC Championship and the CFP National Semifinal. LSU also cruised in so many games, winning each of its final six games by 17 or more points.