Kendricks on Restructuring Contract: ‘I’m Just Trying to Help the Team’

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
vnqgiydpi9plidg7ug3h

In four years with the Vikings, Kendricks has led the team in tackles each season. In 2018, he totaled 122 tackles (coaches’ tally), 1.0 sack, 5.0 tackles for loss, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and seven passes defensed. He also hauled in a career-high two interceptions.

Kendricks’ restructure came just over a year after he signed a five-year extension with the team that drafted him 45th overall in 2015. The move occurred two months to the day since the Vikings announced that Everson Griffen had re-worked his deal and Anthony Barr, Kendricks’ longtime friend and former teammate and roommate at UCLA, re-signed with the Vikings for less money than the Jets offered him.

Kendricks’ willingness to restructure helped Minnesota’s tight salary cap situation, but he’ll leave the business talk to someone else.

“I don’t know [anything about the cap]; I play ball, and I help the team,” he said.

“You can go around the locker room. Everybody wants to be on this team, everybody wants to play. It’s no secret,” Kendricks said. “We just gotta go out and get it done now.”