Kliff Kingsbury Confident As Cardinals Wrap Camp

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
pymxn1hzwmeqpymp30sn

The Cardinals canceled team activities for a day during camp to allow players to mobilize in their quest to combat racism and police brutality. Social justice was a consistent topic during camp, as was the coronavirus.

Kingsbury knew heading in that this would be a camp unlike any other.

"We talked to the guys about controlling what we can control," Kingsbury said. "That was to work hard and get better every day. We feel like that's what they've done. I've been impressed with their attitudes, not letting a lot of things outside the building and outside of football slip in and affect our practice habits or our performance out there on the field.

"That's where we're at heading into Week 1. We've made progress. I feel like we've gotten better throughout camp. You won't know until you line up against another team kind of where you're at, but I couldn't be more impressed with the way guys have handled it, with everything going on. The businesslike attitude has been really good."

The close of camp does bring with it a possible hazard, as the players will now head home at the end of the work day – the type of freedom that could increase the chances of contracting COVID-19.

"Now the big challenge is, we're breaking camp and getting out of our bubble and our life now," outside linebacker Devon Kennard said. "Everybody has to go in their regular life. Can we maintain this across the league? I'm pretty optimistic that we can. I'm hoping everything goes smoothly."

Kingsbury will remind his players of the stakes as the regular season approaches, and he will also be crossing his fingers.

"You definitely touch on it," Kingsbury said. "It's not easy. I know I get a haircut every week, and I'm thinking, 'Am I putting myself at risk?' So there's different things you have to worry about on a daily basis. Our guys have done a tremendous job of not putting themselves at risk, not doing anything crazy, and the understanding is that they won't."

Continue reading...