Left side, strong side: Derek Wolfe, Von Miller are a duo to remember

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
zfttzucgrokjgeuazchd

Miller and Wolfe are different people than they were eight years ago.

They’ve been to the proverbial mountaintop. They’ve won four division titles together, a pair of AFC Championships and a Super Bowl. They’ve earned second contracts and become leaders in the locker room.

They’ve also seen their share of defeats. They’ve suffered back-to-back losing seasons and haven’t tasted the playoffs since that night in Santa Clara. They’ve each suffered substantial injuries.

Mainly, though, they’ve grown as men. Wolfe is now married and has two kids, and Miller was the Broncos’ 2018 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year for his work with Von’s Vision.

“There’s a lot of maturity on both sides,” Wolfe says. “We’ve both matured. We went from young boys to men, really. We were just kids at that age — 22, 23 years old. Now we’re going into our 30s. We’ve got families. We’ve just matured.”

The brotherhood, though, remains as strong as it has ever been — and Miller has done his best to make sure Wolfe gets the credit he deserves.

“I know what makes me successful and I always just try to give credit where credit is due,” Miller says. “That’s my boy. I can’t just leave him out to dry like that. I need to let people know what type of success he’s had and what type of success he’s given me.”

Wolfe, to be clear, doesn’t need the recognition to be happy. But he does appreciate it.

“He doesn’t have to do that,” Wolfe says. “I don’t ask for that. It doesn’t make me upset if he doesn’t do that. But I do, I appreciate the love that he shows. It’s all love between us.”

Odds are, Miller will have more appreciation to show soon. In Head Coach Vic Fangio’s new defensive system, both players could flourish. Wolfe has said he loves the new system and that he feels born to play in the scheme.

Miller, meanwhile, has been challenged to be better by Fangio since he was hired.

A better Miller and Wolfe seems scary for opposing offenses. But is it possible?

“You can always get better,” Wolfe says. “You can always do something to get better. I think we did that this offseason. I think it’s going to be something to watch.”

With Gerry Bertier and Julius Campbell playing defense? It sure will be.