Living On The Edge: Haason Reddick Finally Finds His Home

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
bogrlvybifykulglztby

Through six games, Reddick leads the team and is tied for 12th in the NFL with four sacks.

"He's much more comfortable where he's at now, and you're seeing the results," coach Kliff Kingsbury said. "He's able to use his athleticism. He's a tough player, a physical player, very competitive. It's been awesome to see him have that success after battling through what he dealt with."

Reddick was moved to inside linebacker out of college for a couple of reasons. He had elite athletic testing numbers at the combine, which projected him as a great cover guy, and at 6-foot-1 and 235 pounds he was smaller than a typical pass-rusher.

But the mental aspect never clicked for Reddick, which is why the Cardinals made the last-ditch effort to put him back on the edge. While he will never be the towering presence of a player like Jones, Reddick has fit in perfectly as a versatile strongside linebacker.

"That's his natural position," Joseph said. "That's where he wanted to play. That's his best fit in this defense, and he's been lights out. … He can rush. He can set an edge. He can drop into space. He is the prototype for our SAM 'backer in this defense."

Even though he had to essentially start from scratch by switching positions so deep into his career, Reddick was never upset. He was actually relieved.

"I'm way more comfortable," Reddick said. "Everyone knows that playing outside linebacker is similar to what I did in college, as far as playing D-end. It allows me to go out there and play think-free football. I can go out there, run around the field and let my talents take over. I think that's when I'm at my best."

After starting Reddick out at cornerback, the Temple coaching staff eventually figured out he should be on the edge. It seems the same story is playing out with the Cardinals.

"It's a beautiful thing to watch," cornerback Patrick Peterson said. "Haason has definitely found his home."

Continue reading...