Locked On Rams Now, Patrick Peterson Hopes To Be With Cardinals In Future

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
vhn9qhm4siawgeosicli

Peterson's spot in the Cardinals' free agent pecking order will be a hotly-debated topic this offseason. He is an eight-time Pro Bowler and a three-time All-Pro who was arguably the best cover corner in the NFL in his prime.

At 30, Peterson isn't at that peak anymore, but defensive coordinator Vance Joseph doesn't hesitate in calling him the team's "ace" cornerback.

"There is no such thing, in my opinion, as a total lockdown corner," Joseph said. "You have good players at corner, but every corner in this league is going to get beat on occasion. Pat is still playing consistent, good football for us. He's getting challenged more often because everyone is getting challenged in this league with the pass game. He is still a great leader, he works every day, and he still helps us win."

Peterson has allowed 49 catches for 705 yards and five touchdowns on 79 targets this season, according to Pro Football Focus, which equates to a passer rating against of 96.2. Last week against the 49ers, Peterson did not allow a catch.

"For the most part I believe I had a solid season," Peterson said. "Some plays I definitely wish I could have back, but you can't. Just have to go back and watch the film, and watch how teams are attacking me, which is drags and crossers, running through traffic. I have to find a way this offseason of maneuvering better through things like that, if that's how teams are going to attack us if I'm here next year."

After being ineligible for last year's Pro Bowl due to suspension, Peterson was not chosen this year. It was the first time in his 10-year career that Peterson failed to make the Pro Bowl when eligible.

"I'll get it next year," Peterson said.

For whom, Peterson did not specify.

Continue reading...