Lunchbreak: Anthony Harris Listed Among NFL’s Most Underrated Players

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
scnpn9393imjpu7lt8vz

Krause named safety finalist for NFL All-Time Team

The man with the most career interceptions in NFL history is a finalist to be named as a safety on the NFL’s All-Time Team.

Paul Krause, who spent 12 seasons in Purple from 1968-1979, was recently announced as a candidate for the prestigious team. One of 14 safeties listed as a finalist, Krause has a chance to be one of six safeties on the final team, which will be revealed at 7 p.m. (CT) Friday on NFL Network.

Krause tallied an NFL-record 81 career interceptions, and also holds the Vikings franchise record with 53 career picks. The former Iowa standout recorded eight seasons with at least six interceptions with Minnesota and Washington.

Krause, who started at safety in all four on Minnesota’s Super Bowl appearances, was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August of 1998. He was inducted into the Vikings Ring of Honor in November of that same year.

Back in November of 2017, Krause told Vikings.com that he credited his experience as a centerfielder in baseball with helping him patrol the field as a free safety.

“I was a centerfielder in baseball, and Bud Grant said I was the best centerfielder he’s ever seen. That was in football,” Krause said. “Basically, if you can find a centerfielder in baseball that plays football, too, he would be a good free safety.

“It’s the timing that, all of a sudden, you notice how high the ball is going, or how fast the ball is going, you have to take the angles and determine in a split second if you’re going to go for the interception or not go for the interception,” Krause explained. “If you go for it and miss it, it’s a touchdown. There are a lot of things that centerfielders and free safeties can do alike. It’s all angles, timing and knowing what you can do with the abilities that you have. I feel like I was blessed with that ability.”

The NFL’s All-Time Team will consist of 100 players and 10 coaches. It is selected by a 26-person panel made up of coaches, team and front office executives, former players and media members.

Hall of Famers John Randle and Alan Page were selected to the NFL’s All-Time Team last week along the defensive line.