Lunchbreak: ESPN's Barnwell Says Dalvin Cook Likely in Line to Chase Season Records

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
gqt2z8vx5oyovf1q52dk

But Cook could also be in the mix for that hallowed record, too, Barnwell said.

[Vikings Head Coach] Mike Zimmer might like nothing more than to give his starting running back 400 carries in a 17-game season. It's tough to count on Cook staying healthy for the entire season given his track record with injuries, but if you take the 17 games he has played in which he has had more than 20 carries, he finishes with 422 rushes for 2,120 yards. It's going to take that sort of workload to get anybody ahead of Dickerson, so while those games weren't consecutive, it's not impossible to imagine.

Cook has proven himself to be one of the league's best running backs in recent seasons. He has made back-to-back Pro Bowls, with his 2,692 combined rushing yards and 29 rushing touchdowns both ranking as the second-most over the past two seasons.

Yet the affable Cook likely isn't focusing on these records, as he told the Twin Cities media last month that he's not focused on personal goals this season.

"I want to make the playoffs. That's my goal," Cook said. "I've never really set a goal ever since I got to Minnesota. My main goal was just to go out there and be Dalvin Cook, and I think everything will take care of itself.

"I never really set a goal for X number of yards and 'This is what I want,' " Cook added. "I always say work hard and when the season comes around, just be who I am and let it go. That's what I do."