Lunchbreak: ESPN Notes Little 'Leeway' on Vikings Playoff Path

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
jd5j74h0c414eybjrkfk

Vikings OL Brett Jones 'continuing unlikely journey'

Vikings offensive lineman Brett Jones has certainly grown accustomed to NFL life that can be a roller coaster at times. This season alone, Jones has been on Minnesota's active roster, been on the practice squad and, most recently, started Sunday's at right guard in place of an injured Ezra Cleveland.

The last time Jones had started a game was in 2018, when he started Minnesota's first three contests at center in place of Pat Elflein.

"It's been a couple of years or whatever since I got a chance to go out and start," Jones told Twin Cities media members this week. "You really miss those things. I just tried to enjoy that. It meant a lot that they had the confidence to put me in there. It was great to get back out there again.

"I had a lot of confidence knowing that everybody else had confidence in me," he later added. "But I understand we didn't get the results we want. I'm just going to go back to work this week and try to keep getting better."

Dane Mizutani of the Pioneer Press wrote about Jones and the past week's occurrences, which included not only a start but a starring role, per se.

Jones got his moment in the spotlight last week. And it happened even before he got a surprise start against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday at U.S. Bank Stadium.

Coincidentally, a few days earlier, a Canadian film company, The Little Park, released a 20-minute documentary focused on Jones and his unlikely rise to the NFL. It follows Jones' journey from a unknown recruit in small town Saskatchewan to his years playing at the University of Regina to his emerging as a star with the Calgary Stampeders of the CFL.