Lunchbreak: The Athletic Breaks Down Vikings Coaching Changes

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
rmvgqxb4uunys5wvahvv

NFL.com projects Hutchinson to Hall of Fame Class of 2020

On Saturday during the NFL Honors ceremony, many awards and recognitions will be given out.

Also announced will be the five modern-era enshrinees of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2020.

NFL.com's Adam Rank on Friday predicted this year's class and included former Vikings guard Steve Hutchinson, who played in Seattle from 2001-05 before coming to Minnesota from 2006-11. Hutchinson finished out his NFL career with one season in Tennessee. Rank wrote:

I have two linemen getting into the Hall this season, with Hutchinson being the second. He's in his third year of eligibility and has been a finalist each season. He played 12 seasons and started all 169 games in which he played. He was a five-time All-Pro selection and seven-time Pro Bowler. He, like [Alan] Faneca, is a member of the All-Decade Team of the 2000s. Hutchinson also blocked for a 1,000-yard rusher in 11 of his 12 seasons (the leading rushers in each of his 12 seasons averaged 1,393 yards and 14 rushing touchdowns combined). Included in that group is Shaun Alexander, who scored 27 rushing touchdowns in 2005 and was selected as MVP. Hutchinson also played in Super Bowl XL as a member of the Seahawks.

Rank opined that Faneca and Hutchinson will get in this year over former Jaguars tackle Tony Boselli, whom he said has a better shot in 2021.

In addition to Faneca and Hutchinson, Rank projected Edgerrin James, John Lynch and Troy Polamalu to be part of the Class of 2020 headed to Canton.

Troy is the nephew of Vikings running backs coach Kennedy Polamalu.

To me, this is the biggest lock of the weekend. Polamalu was one of the most exciting players in the NFL. He was a member of the NFL All-Decade Team of the 2000s. He was a four-time All-Pro and an eight-time Pro Bowler. He was selected as the 2010 NFL Defensive Player of the Year and was a two-time Super Bowl winner with the Steelers. Polamalu was also one of the faces of the NFL during his playing career and earned the distinction of being on the cover of Madden NFL. [Heck], the guy is still doing commercials to this day. There is no doubt in my mind that he's going to get into the Hall of Fame.