Lunchbreak: Zierlein Highlights Day 2 Standouts from Senior Bowl Practices

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
ysrhdjbs1n5wpfllrcko

Zierlein also came away impressed by Florida wide receiver Van Jefferson.

On tape, right off the bat, you can see Jefferson's a coach's son based on how he competes (his father, Shawn, is a former NFL receiver who currently serves as the New York Jets' WRs coach). Van's production with the Gators wasn't great, but when you ask around about that issue, the fact that UF's QB play has been inconsistent pops up quite a bit. I know this much: His routes are impeccable.

His ability to get open underneath and disguise his breaks is really fun to watch. He made tight-window catches against some pretty good corners on Wednesday. If he's able to break a 4.5-second 40-yard dash at the combine, he's going to get pushed up the draft board. Wherever he goes, he has a chance to outperform his draft position.

Zierlein also took notice of Houston tackle Josh Jones.

Jones had some ups and downs during Tuesday's practice — it's not uncommon for offensive linemen to start off a little slower than defensive linemen at the Senior Bowl — but on Wednesday, he was impressive. He got into Wisconsin LB Zack Baun — one of the top performers on Tuesday — and moved him down the field.

In pass pro, he was shutting people down. I talked to some personnel people here who shared my enthusiasm for his performance. He looks better than Tytus Howard did here last year. I think Jones is a second-round tackle, but it won't be a surprise if he gets pushed up the board, just like Howard, who went to the Texans in Round 1 last year, did. He's a physical specimen and a lock to go in the top 40. He's just too long, too athletic, and has too much potential at left tackle to last long in the draft.

Zierlein also mentioned a pair of defensive backs — Utah's Terrell Burgess and Notre Dame's Troy Pride, Jr. — as players that impressed on Wednesday.

The Reese's Senior Bowl kicks off on at 1:30 p.m. (CT) Saturday on NFL Network.