Marcedes Lewis planning to play again in 2020

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
baaon7d41j37db2x6nbc

In his postgame news conference Sunday, Rodgers stated leadership as one of the biggest reasons he's encouraged about the future of the team before adding, "You can't have enough Marcedes Lewises on your roster."

"I can't say enough about that dude," said Lewis of Rodgers. "He's not a big rah-rah guy. He's going to lead by example. He doesn't walk in here with a chip on his shoulder. Even though he's been the MVP a couple times and won a Super Bowl, you don't get that out of him. He's a guy who wants to get better and wants to be great every day."

Lewis will remember the 2019 Packers as being "one of the closest teams" he's been on. At his locker Monday, Lewis was wearing the custom sweatshirt guard Billy Turner made for the players and support staff. That camaraderie made this playoff run – only the third of Lewis' career – special.

Lewis plans to take a few small vacations before beginning his offseason training. It is sobering how the years have passed but Lewis remains as dedicated to his craft as ever.

"Once I hit like five (years), it was like, 'Pww, pww, pww.' It just started flying," Lewis said. "It's crazy it had to end that way (but) this is why you play. Everybody can't win. They'll be better here next year, I'm sure."

One veteran debating what he'll do next season is backup offensive tackle Jared Veldheer. The 32-year-old initially retired this past May before getting the itch to play again in November.

Despite playing in only four games, Veldheer called this "one of the more fun seasons" he's been a part of. Claimed off waivers from New England, Veldheer made pivotal relief appearances at right tackle for Bryan Bulaga in the regular-season finale against Detroit and the NFC Divisional playoff game vs. Seattle.

"I'm going to go home and get family life back to how it was in Michigan … put our little girl back in school and let this adventure soak up," Veldheer said. "Going back to Week 1 … when I was in the stands at Soldier Field, to think that later in the season I was going to be a part of that team and be able to lend a hand to the journey – the thought didn't even cross my mind. It's funny how life works and what you can make of it if you want to."