Marvin Jones ready to play the part of leader in Jaguars’ receivers room

Roary

Mar 18, 2019
Minnesota Vikings v Detroit Lions - NFL Football Game

Getty Images

Jaguars offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell wanted Marvin Jones to follow him from Detroit. Jones adds speed and experience to a young, building team.

“It feels good because obviously, I’m still playing at the top of my game,” Jones said Monday, via John Reid of the Florida Times-Union. ”I’ve been doing this a long time at a high level. I felt like even when I was in Cincy when I was a young guy, I was still a leader in a way.

“I think everywhere I’ve been, every stop I’ve made, I’ve been a leader. That’s not necessarily saying that I’m going to be the one talking all the time. I like to show and you see that I’m a leader on and off the field.”

Jones, who caught 76 passes for 978 yards and nine touchdowns last season for Detroit, joins a receivers room with DJ Chark and Laviska Shenault. The Jaguars also signed former Seahawks receiver Phillip Dorsett, who missed the 2020 season with a foot injury.

“Yeah, speed is something I’ve always believed in, and Phillip Dorsett answers that question,” coach Urban Meyer said, “and I think Marvin is at an extremely high value for how we came across that. I mean, on video tape, I really love watching that guy play.”

Jones reunites with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell in Jacksonville.