McShay: Vikings Could Get "Plug-and-Play Starter" with OL at No. 14

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
pep55ja1w9otvspccra5

McShay also had some praise for Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman, and noted that the Vikings could be a candidate to trade back based on what happens. Minnesota currently has 10 draft picks, but does not have a second-round selection.

"Rick Spielman always does a really good job of drafting and moving around," McShay said. "I could see them moving around a little bit and taking advantage of a team trying to move up, especially if a team like New England wanted to move up for a quarterback, or a team like Chicago or something like that.

"But ultimately, I think offensive line is probably the safest spot for them there," McShay added. "And if it's not offensive line, I would go edge defender."

Here are three other topics McShay discussed Monday:

1. Edge rushers get pushed down the board

While McShay said the Vikings could be in the mix for a pass rusher, his mock draft doesn't have one off the board until Paye to the Colts at No. 21.

McShay said an abundance of skill position players — including a handful of highly-ranked quarterbacks — could be a little bit of a wait for players who do their best work getting to those signal callers.

"The tricky part is, to be honest, is that I have five quarterbacks going in the top 11, and then four pass catchers also going in the top 11," McShay said. "It kind of pushes back everyone in terms of the defensive side.

"I had two corners going, then it went to offensive linemen and then the pass rushers," McShay added. "I think because of all the quarterbacks and pass catchers, there's a good chance [edge rushers] get pushed back a little bit."

McShay had five overall pass rushers go in his first-round mock. Beyond Paye, McShay also projected Rousseau to Cleveland at No. 26, Phillips to Buffalo at No. 30, Georgia's Azeez Ojulari to Kansas City at No. 31 and Tulsa's Zaven Collins to Tampa Bay with the final pick in the first round.