Midnight wake-up call ushered in Kenny Clark's big day

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
yil0ydvm4vwss8ygnunn

Still only 24, Clark has emerged as one of the game's top nose tackles. A first-round pick out of UCLA in 2016, he's played in all but four games for the Packers over the last four years, recording 193 tackles, 16½ sacks and four forced fumbles. Twelve of those sacks came in his last two seasons.

According to NFL Next Gen Stats, Clark's 49 pressures and 43 disruptions in 2019 were second only to perennial All-Pro Aaron Donald among defensive tackles.

The 6-foot-3, 313-pounder has been a key part of Green Bay's schematic evolution over the past five years, where nose tackles are a more integral part of the pass rush and not just gap-fillers against the run.

"I've just been focused on, pass rush and being able to be an all-around player," Clark said. "I think (this) really solidifies, really shows nose tackles can do both and get paid high and I'm just excited about it."

Known as a quiet, steady presence on the field and in the locker room, Clark was showered with cheers by his teammates and coaches after Head Coach Matt LaFleur had his defensive tackle break the huddle following Saturday's opening practice.

Later that day, several of Clark's teammates voiced their excitement over his extension on Twitter. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who trains with Clark at ProActive in California during the offseason, also couldn't have been more pleased by the news.

"I think Kenny sometimes has been an underrated player for us over the years," Rodgers said. "He's a quiet guy who goes about his business the right way. He's found his voice at times and his leadership role has increased over the years. It's been fun to watch him kind of step into that opportunity. He's one of those guys you just know you can count on every single week."