Mike's Mid-Week Chat: How do the Packers get back on track?

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ar4rj7ilp3qwdro3apb8

Hey Mike, We got to see a decent amount of reps from AJ Dillon yesterday towards the end of the game. I thought he had some good runs in that period. How did you think he did? Do you think we see more reps out of him down the road this year without it being a blowout?

A popular question. I thought Dillon did well for himself and he gave the coaching staff something to think about.

Mike, how can the Packers explain the soft coverage and dropping DL in to zone coverage on more than one occasion? Rushing 2 then 3? What a mess.

Playing coverage and trying to flood the passing lanes was working against Brady early in the game. The Bucs did nothing on their first two drives. But they adjusted and when there was no pressure with the standard four-man rushes later on, that was pretty much it.

Did Davante Adams seem at 100 percent?

As close as a guy can be after missing 2 1/2 games and also resting through the bye. I didn't see any limitations.

Do you see the Packers making any moves before the trade deadline?

Hard to say. It's not a time traditionally the Packers make any major moves. I think we'll continue to see steady shuffling of the lower portion of the roster, as is common.

What do you make of the decision to punt instead of going for it in the third quarter in Tampa. Seems like they threw in the white flag a little to early.

That's a tough one. The way LaFleur talked about searching for something that could work on the call sheet and getting frustrated, he probably didn't feel good about any play call on fourth-and-8 there. Often a primary impetus for a head coach to go for it on fourth down in an iffy situation is his confidence in a certain play call.

Mike, do you see the terrible Houston def rankings as more a product of opponents, coaching changes, scheme or personnel? With that being said is there anyone you see other then JJ Watt that can impact the game on the def side of the ball for the Texans?

Watt and Mercilus are good pass rushers, obviously. They've played some darn good teams, but that defense also didn't hold up against the Vikings and Minnesota got its first (and only) win down there. The Packers have to get the offense back on track. This is a huge opportunity to do so.

Hi Mike, thanks for the chat! I know things are different this year but is there any intel on how Jordan Love is progressing?

Couldn't tell you. Reporters don't get to see any of the 11-on-11 practice periods during the regular season, when Love would be taking at least some of the scout-team snaps.

Mike, have the Packers blocked a punt, FG or extra point this year? I don't recall special teams getting one.

Not this year.

Any chance we can get the Packers/Bucs score removed from the main page banner? It's slightly depressing.

Slightly? Ha. I've passed the suggestion along.

I enjoyed the "Rambo" audible Rodgers used Sunday. Has he called that one before to your recollection?

I'm pretty sure I've heard that one before, but it didn't necessarily mean the same thing.

Do you think ML will mix it up and run some no huddle in the coming weeks?

Perhaps, but you have to pick your spots with that, particularly with the defense coming off a rough game, too. The offense was humming along pretty good for four games and didn't need to do a lot of up-tempo so I don't anticipate them going crazy with it.

Any word on the return of Tyler Ervin? Seems like a pretty important piece!

Again, we'll see if he's back at practice this week. I thought it was interesting the best run of the game was Jamaal Williams' 25-yarder in the first quarter off the jet sweep motion by Aaron Jones, but they only ran the motion a handful of times. LaFleur said their film study showed the Bucs knew how to defend it.

It's so odd that the Packers have only generated 3 turnovers on defense in 5 games, while winning 4 of them. What do you think the Packers can do to generate a few more game changing plays?

I wrote about that last week, and it really comes down to taking advantage of the one or two opportunities you're going to get each game. Adrian Amos had a great shot at a pick of Brady but missed it. We talked last week about the two defenders both getting a shot to pick Ryan but it didn't work out. I think it starts with the pass rush, though. Pressure is what leads to errant throws most of the time.