Mike's Mid Week Chat: What's in store for the Packers after the bye?

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
qm9pf7fcw8cfsdupwsny

Hey everybody, thanks for logging on one day later than usual. The Monday night game just made it too hectic to squeeze in a chat on the usual Wednesday, so here we are. Go ahead and start sending in some questions.

Hello Mike, have you ever felt you personally jinxed a player during the game? Mason Crosby's missed XP was my fault. I looked away because he's automatic, most of the time.

Nah. It crosses your mind from time to time if you said or reported something about a guy, but when you're doing that all the time you're bound to say something that sounds like a jinx. It's kind of crazy, though, that Crosby I think has missed more PATs in his last 8-10 games than field goals I think. I'd have to look it up to be sure. Him drilling the 48-yarder after the PAT miss, when Scott got a good hold off a low snap, was pretty clutch.

Will Allen Lazard be unable to play again until after week 7?

The Packers have given no timetable on Lazard's return. They are hoping he can be back at some point later in the season. That's all I know.

Is Robert Foster not making a good impression? Seems his speed would be an asset on game day?

Reporters don't get to see any of the 11-on-11 work in practice during the regular season, so I can't give any assessment of the impression Foster is making.

Is Allen Lazard most likely out for the year?

The hope is that he's not. He won't be back right after the bye week or anything, though.

Is Equanimeous St. Brown looking to be available after the bye?

I haven't heard any updates on St. Brown's status. Based on missing three games, he is eligible to return from IR now, but I don't know whether he's been medically cleared to do so.

I need some questions, folks. Don't be shy.

I haven't pay much attention to him, but Krys Barnes seems to impress a lot of people. What can you said about him?

For an undrafted rookie who had no offseason or preseason games, he's been able to show the game isn't too big for him. Pettine mentioned yesterday that he's earned some of the vets' respect because he's always prepared and very dialed in on the field. He was wearing the communication helmet part-time on Monday night, too, which says something. It sure looks like the Packers have themselves another undrafted find.

If you folks are trying to send in questions, I'm not getting them, so I apologize for any technical issues. Please keep trying.

Mike, did you see the Tarik Hill TD on Monday night? How could that be a TD if the ball hit the outside of the pylon?

I think the rule is for the purposes of determining a TD, the pylon is essentially an extension of the goal line, so if the ball touches the pylon, even on the outside, it's good.

It seems watching live that our defense has issues but at the end of the game the numbers show different. I'd be happy with 16 points given up any day! Does our defense pass the eye test?

As I wrote earlier this week, I think the defense is showing improvement but there's room for more. Tackling was an issue for the second straight game. This most recent one, it was missing tackles in the backfield that should have been for lost yardage and set the defense up in good position. Offenses are going to move the ball and score in this league. That's just how it is. The defense could use more takeaways, but holding a good QB like Ryan to 16 points without any big splash plays was a pretty solid effort. You'll take that every week.

Good morning, with the release of players, how many "open" spots do the Packers have on the 53?

I think there are currently two open spots, and another one will open up assuming Josiah Deguara is going on IR.

Hey Mike, Jonathan Garvin has looked really impressive filling in for Rashan Gary. Did you see this type of play in training camp?

Garvin definitely flashed at times in camp. He's a young, raw player with some upside, which is the kind of guy you draft in the seventh round. Getting some in-game experience this early is big for him. It could really help the Packers down the road.

You got us now Mike?

Yes, there seem to be more questions funneling in. Thanks for your patience.

Who wins tonight?

Well, the Bucs have been on a roll since losing in Week 1 at New Orleans, and not even a 24-7 deficit last week could stop them. It's hard for me to see the Bears' offense bouncing back on a short week with the type of performance that'll be needed to beat Brady after they got shut down so thoroughly last game.

Anything in particular that Packers fans should be paying attention to in tonight's game against a future opponent?

I don't know. There are not a lot of similarities scheme-wise or personnel-wise really between the Packers and these two teams, except for the HOF QB angle. How the Bears decide to defend Mike Evans will probably be a good indication of their approach against Davante Adams later this season.