Mike's Mid-Week Chat: Which position groups might change the most?

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
mtr3wfepk0gecbzpxr7u

Any word on a new receivers coach?

Not yet. I don't want to speak for LaFleur, but I would think he'll want to have one in place before the scouting combine, which is two weeks away.

Hi Mike, I've heard draft class is deep at WR but what are GB's chance of drafting a stud MLB?

If there are only one or two big-time inside LBs in the draft, they're usually gone well before pick 30. But we'll see what this class looks like. A run on other positions can push guys down, or maybe trading back from 30 you can still get your guy high in the second and add another pick. Lot of different things can happen.

How does a Punter / Kicker work on inconsistencies? What percentage of the job is mental for them. It seems like there is not much they can do other than just keep kicking the ball for practice.

I've learned from a lot of conversations with Mason Crosby the mental part is all about believing in your process -- preparation during the week, warming up before the game, etc. If a kicker has a process he believes in and has proved successful, the mental side of his game stays intact even if a result here or there is not the best.

Have you got any ice pops from Aaron Rodgers and Danica?

Ha. That was a pretty funny story.

I've heard what the draft is deep in. have you heard what positions are very thin in the draft?

We'll start hearing a lot more once the combine is done. It's not the be-all, end-all, but it's a significant piece of the evaluation pie, and it provides a lot of comparables with everyone getting tested and measured, etc.

Hi Mike, what is the Packer's cap space for signing FAs, and draft picks this year? Could we go out and land a big fish in FA (ie the smith bros) and get their picks paid?

The Packers aren't going to be able to sign four free agents the first day like last year, but I could see one significant free-agent addition that doesn't break the bank, and other mid-level moves along the way after the first wave of signings wraps up. Cap-wise, it's pretty clear the Packers are trying to set aside space for an extension for Kenny Clark, too. Gutekunst made no bones about that in his last press conference.

Which do you think is tougher for the players: losing in the game before the Super Bowl or losing in the Super Bowl?

No question losing in the Super Bowl is tougher. To be that close to a championship, and a measure of immortality, can be tough to get over.

Mike, Ryan asked about punting. Do you remember when Don Meredith on Monday Night Football called a punter Old Thunder foot whenever he played? It reminded me of that and I cannot remember who the punter was do you?

Boy, I want to say it was Ray Guy because the Raiders were on Monday Night Football a lot. But I can't be sure. Great line, though.

What's Larry up to in the offseason? I sure miss him this time of year

He's trying to chill a bit here and there like the rest of us. He'll be going to the combine with us, like usual.

Thoughts on Dom Capers becoming a defensive assistant for the Vikings?

I'm really happy for Dom. I can't believe he wants to keep coaching, because he certainly doesn't have to, but it just shows how much he loves it. He's a tremendous individual, and the NFL is better with him in it.

What's the contract status on Curtis Bolton? Prior to his injury, he was looking like a solid contributor. While needs at O-line and LB are clear and urgent, many others should be at least somewhat addressed with existing rostered players providing their development continues. Who's your early pick for player to breakout after being on IR last year? I'll go with ESB

Equanimeous St. Brown and Bolton will both be interesting stories to watch through the offseason and training camp. Injuries are a cruel part of the game, but both players showed they have a chance to succeed in this league.

If Lamar Jackson and Mahomes are the new prototype, especially for young QBs just coming into the league, how does this start to change the landscape of defenses? It's obviously really difficult to find fast guys that can still thump.

Speed on defense is more important than ever these days, and it's not as much about guys who can thump as tackle well in space. Just get the job done. These guys are defending these types of QBs in college, so in the scouting process you get a sense of which guys have a chance to do it here.