Mike Zimmer on Assessing 2019 Season, Assistant Coaches and Kendricks' All-Pro Year

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
tvx6ajgjamq9eqylbmmu

1. Meet the new DB coach

The Vikings have a new defensive backs coach in Daronte Jones, who was with the Bengals and Dolphins in separate two-year stints in the past four seasons.

Zimmer said he has been impressed with Jones, whom he interviewed last week after getting back in the building.

"We sat at the board and talked a lot about defensive backs, coverages, all those things. Been very impressed with him," Zimmer said. "Sat in the meetings with him [Monday], and he's very knowledgeable and good with technique. Hopefully we play better back there as well."

Zimmer, of course, is known as a defensive backs guru, as he got his start in the NFL coaching that position group in the mid-1990s with the Cowboys.

Zimmer told Allen that he quizzed Jones on his coaching style in regards to various coverages and what scheme opponents like to run.

"It will be good for us and for me. Obviously, he'll do it how I want it done, but it's nice to have a guy who seems very knowledgeable," Zimmer said. "We talk about minority coaches and things like that and getting an opportunity to be a head coach … he's well-dressed, well-spoken, very knowledgeable.

"I could see this guy one day maybe being a head coach," Zimmer added.