Mile High Morning: After fight vs. COVID-19, Von Miller turns efforts toward helping others affected by it

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
kytipmnyizrtgpi1guyp

The Lead

Von Miller's fight with the novel coronavirus isn't quite over.

He may have won his battle and recently tested negative, but he wants to do more to help people affected by COVID-19. With that in mind, he recently started a new campaign, Von Sacks COVID, to help provide more than half a million meals to those facing hunger as a result of the pandemic.

"To be honest, whenever this virus started, I was trying to stay out the way," Miller told The Washington Post. "I was trying to stay home, stay out the way and wait this thing out. I ended up getting the virus at home. That's when it really hit me, like, just staying low and social distancing ain't enough. I've got to do my part."

So, similar to how his Von's Vision foundation tries to help children who need vision care, Miller used his personal experience to influence his efforts in the community.

"I had the virus, so I know how serious it is," Miller said. "It's not just me saying do this and do that or just trying to raise money for a cause or anything like that. I actually had it. It's something that is a part of me, just like the glasses thing. Everybody here in my house saw it. Not everybody has the same things that we have here. So I want to do as much as we can."

To raise money to provide up to 580,000 meals, Miller's Von Sacks COVID fund is raffling and auctioning off unique experiences, like a meet-and-greet with Miller at the 2021 Kentucky Derby, a soccer clinic with World Cup champion Carli Lloyd, a virtual happy hour with the Super Bowl MVP and more. Inspired fans can also purchase Miller merch to support the fund or simply just contribute monetary donations.

Aside from that, Miller says he's still recovering from his experience with the disease.

"Taking 17 days off and then trying to get back into it, I really feel it," Miller said. "I still feel my lungs trying to get back in shape. It's just all the wear and tear that it puts on your lungs. I've got asthma on top of that, so to try to run with asthma and then try to run after the coronavirus, that's what I think some of the shortness of breath comes from."