Mile High Morning: Drew Lock gains traction in NFL MVP conversations

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
tuhg9esfojleclp8atjo

The Lead

During each of the last three seasons, a second-year quarterback has held the pole position for the NFL's MVP award at the halfway point of the season.

In 2017, Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz was lapping the field as he guided the eventual Super Bowl champions. Only a torn ACL kept him from going on to win the award.

A year later, Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes threw 50 touchdowns and was named MVP following his second season. Then, this past year, second-year quarterback Lamar Jackson earned the honor.

The obvious question, then, is which second-year quarterback could win MVP in 2020?

Broncos Country, you're going to like FOX Sports' Colin Cowherd's answer.

After sifting through all six options — Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, Jared Stidham and Gardner Minshew — Cowherd touted Lock as the best bet.

"My guess is Drew Lock is going to explode for Denver this year," Cowherd said.

Cowherd cited Courtland Sutton, Noah Fant, Jerry Jeudy and the Broncos' defense as reasons why Lock could take the next step.

He wasn't the only one, though, to mention Lock as a possible MVP candidate.

On Thursday, NFL.com's Adam Schein listed Lock among his top dark-horse MVP candidates.

"Every time Lock speaks, I come away impressed," Schein wrote. "I think the former second-rounder could enjoy a fantastic sophomore campaign. And I can't wait to watch this offense work."