Monday Morning Mailbag: How To Best Utilize Diggs and Thielen?

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
mcucmuj0sonpfgq1rmms

Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen both work well from the slot. How would a defense have to respond if they both lined up in the slot on opposite sides and a tight end was split wide on both sides? Would a linebacker have to move outside to follow the tight end or maybe a safety split wide? Might create some opportunities in the run game.
-- Brian Duncan
Powell, TN

LOVE this kind of question! And I agree that both Diggs and Thielen are great from the slot…so why not put both of them in the slot at the same time on occasion? I’m sure this kind of formation could indeed pose some challenges for a defense, although I’m equally as sure that someone like Mike Zimmer would develop some answers to this. If linebackers move out to cover the tight ends, that may be an indicator of man coverage. If the linebackers stay inside and the cornerbacks stay outside to cover the tight ends, that could be an indicator of zone coverage. But it’s not as simple as that, either, so let’s root for the Vikings to use this look and then we’ll see how the defense responds.