Monday Morning Mailbag: Options For The O-Line, Draft Philosophy, More

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
mgphulezh0vtul3grvjk

Is it realistic to think that both offensive guards and the kicker will be rookies? If so, I’m not too optimistic about next season. Indy picked two offensive linemen last year and they became starters, but they had higher selections than we’ll have this year.
-- Cory N.
Green Bay, WI

Sure, it’s realistic. It’s also possible veterans will win those jobs. The bottom line is it’s very unlikely you’ll have a productive returning veteran at every spot on your roster. In this League, with the salary cap the way it is and with teams getting smarter and smarter at building rosters, you’re going to have to get by and win with inexperienced players, including rookies. Remember, the Philadelphia Eagles made their run to Super Bowl 52 with a rookie kicker – Jake Elliott. That same season, the Vikings reached the NFC title game with a rookie center. The New England Patriots featured Joe Thuney at guard as a rookie on the way to Super Bowl LI. Those are just three examples off the top of my head without doing research, and I’m sure there are plenty more examples of teams winning at a high level with rookies in the starting lineup.