Monday Morning Mailbag: Possibly Drafting a QB, Up-and-Coming Offensive Linemen & Barr's Role in 2020

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
xzngws2x8hk7s5ygj68m

Do you have a comment or question? Send it to the vikings.com Mailbag! Every Monday we'll post several comments and/or questions as part of the vikings.com Monday Morning Mailbag. Although we can't post every comment or question, we will reply to every question submitted.

Click here to submit a comment or question to the mailbag. Remember to include your name and town on the email. The questions below have been edited for clarity.

You can also send Eric a Mailbag question via Twitter.

Do you think the Vikings will go after a quarterback in the draft?

— Jordan Nelson

I have a crazy draft idea sparked by what the Chiefs did after Alex Smith's fine season in moving up to draft Patrick Mahomes. Let me start by saying that I like [Kirk] Cousins and think he is a really good QB, much like Smith before his injury. My idea is this: if Tua Tagovailoa is available at 5, put an aggressive package together to trade with Miami to move up and grab Tua and have him sit for a year behind Cousins. Or, even crazier, send Cousins to Miami for the #5 and Ryan Fitzpatrick in return (or sign him if he is a free agent) and have Tua sit for a year behind Fitzmagic. Swing for the fence!

— Paul in Connecticut, a lifelong Vikings fan

We'll start with a pair of quarterback-centric emails, both of which raise interesting points.

The Vikings last drafted a quarterback in 2014, and that was Teddy Bridgewater. With Sean Mannion's contract set to expire at the start of the new league year in March, perhaps the Vikings add a quarterback in the draft if he doesn't return. But even if he does, maybe Minnesota brings in another guy to compete behind Mannion and Jake Browning?

The decision to draft a quarterback could also depend on whether or not the Vikings have decided to extend Kirk Cousins or not. If the Vikings extend Cousins for a few more seasons, then drafting a quarterback in the first round isn't a likely scenario, as Paul wants to do.

With the 2020 offseason in full swing, now is that time that people come up with any and all scenarios for their favorite team. Both Jordan and Paul certainly bring up an interesting question as to whether the Vikings will address QB depth in the offseason. Cousins, of course, currently has one year remaining on his three-year contract, so his future will be an area of focus this offseason.

Remember, too, that the Vikings are on the heels of a decade defined by injuries and turnover at the position. From 2010-2019, Minnesota had 13 different quarterbacks start at least one game. It is everyone's hope that there's a bit more consistency over the next 10 seasons.

Regardless of what happens, there will be lots of chatter about the Vikings quarterbacks over the next few months, that's for sure.