Monday Morning Mailbag: Would the Vikings Take a QB at No. 14?

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
v8d8bs54vdg5pn2bvcwl

Let's dive into special teams with this question from Mike, who wants to know about Minnesota's kicking situation.

To recap, the Vikings added kicker Greg Joseph to the roster in February, and then released Dan Bailey just before the start of free agency.

Bailey's end-of-season struggles have been well-documented, so no need to rehash them, but I do like the potential of Joseph.

He's still relatively young at age 26, but doesn't have a ton of NFL experience. He has made 17 of 20 career field goals (85 percent), and 34 of 38 extra points (89.5 percent) in stints with the Titans and Browns in 2018 and 2019.

Joseph did not attempt a kick in 2020, as he spent the season on Tampa Bay's practice squad. But one person who could help Joseph get acclimated is Vikings punter Britton Colquitt, who was Joseph's holder on field goals and extra points in Cleveland in 2018.

So, we can expect Joseph to be on the team in the coming months as training camp approaches. Will anyone else?

I have a firm belief that is a yes, and that it will be a rookie who doesn't get picked up in the draft. I doubt the Vikings would add another veteran-type free agent like Joseph, and I also don't think they will select one in the draft. That last happened in 2018 with Daniel Carlson, and he only lasted two games in Minnesota before bouncing back with the Raiders.

My expectation is that we see a kicking competition in camp between Joseph and a rookie. May the best man win, and hopefully he brings stability to that position for years to come.

Good day, my name is John and I have been a Vikings fan for 50 years. I'm 61 years old and love the Vikings. I just wanted to say I wish they would change the horns on the helmets for the Vikings face. I think change is good for business … just something to think about. I have a mini helmet that was specially designed and it looks amazing. Thank you for hearing me out. Have a great day.

— John Mercado

Appreciate your longtime support, John, and for the interesting idea about changing up the helmet decal.

I actually agree with you that putting the Norseman logo on the helmet would look neat, and would keep some continuity with branding. Just off the top of my head, most teams use their main logo on their helmets. (Think Green Bay, Chicago, Detroit and Kansas City as key examples here, but the use of a horn on Vikings helmets is as old as Vikings helmets, a story told in the Minnesota Vikings Museum).

While I believe the Norseman would look good, I actually wouldn't change anything about the Vikings current look with the Purple helmets accented by the horn on each side. To me, that actually makes Vikings players look like, well, Vikings. I always love seeing Dalvin Cook race down the field with his horns streaking, or Harrison Smith snagging an interception.

Maybe we'll see some changes to Minnesota's uniform in the coming years. But for now, my ideal outfit remains the home look of Purple uniforms, white pants and the horns on the Purple helmets in front of a frenzied crowd at U.S. Bank Stadium.