Morning Mailbag: Vikings-Saints Wild Card Playoff Edition

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
m71c94wgdxiw3weh3vxf

We’ll start by grouping a couple of related questions…

We know that the defense is going to game-plan to try to slow down the Saints offense. ... Is it wise for our offense to be game-planning to have to air the ball out in a high-scoring game? If we get behind, I fear our game plan will be a failure if we are not planning on a high-scoring game.

— Troy Tomford

The Vikings haven’t won against a double-digit win team this season. Can we actually win in New Orleans? Can the defense stop the Saints offense, or will it have to be a shootout?

— Tomas from Buenos Aires

I wanted to answer these questions together because of the overlap.

The Saints offense has been prolific, scoring 34-plus points in six of their final seven games.

I’m sure that the offensive coaches are working to find explosive plays against the Saints defense that could produce points or flip field position.

But perhaps the best thing to do is to sustain long drives to keep the ball away from Drew Brees.

In the three losses by New Orleans this season, the Saints allowed 115 yards on 30 carries (LAR), 143 on 34 (ATL) and 162 on 24 (SF). The Rams won time of possession by a little (it also helped Los Angeles when Brees left the game early), and the Falcons kept the ball for 33:46. The 49ers actually lost time of possession, but that was a tradeoff for having five plays of 31-plus yards, including a 75-yard touchdown.

The other component is that the Vikings must cap their quality possessions with touchdowns instead of field goals.

The good news is that Dalvin Cook is on track to return. He’ll command respect toward the running game, and Kirk Cousins has excelled on deep passes to Stefon Diggs for much of the season. Adam Thielen also has worked his way back from a hamstring injury that he suffered in Week 7.

Minnesota scored 28 or more points eight times in 2019, which is the most in any season under Head Coach Mike Zimmer. The Vikings went 7-1 in such games this season and are 28-3-1 in regular-season games under Zimmer when reaching 28 or more points.