New Guard Josh Kline Comfortable with Outdoors, Outside Zone

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
gsttpekk0qqc3gwgrdkg

“What drew me there the most was the family-first culture that Coach [Mike] Zimmer and Rick Spielman gave me as soon as I walked in the building,” Kline said. “Everyone … all the coaching staff around there … and from the training staff and the equipment staff … everyone in the building was just super nice.

“They were super welcoming and had that Midwest feel I’m accustomed to since I’m an Ohio boy,” Kline added.

Kline, who has appeared in 79 career games in six seasons and has made 64 starts, could now be tasked with protecting Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins as Minnesota has some possible job openings on the interior of its offensive line.

Mike Remmers and Tom Compton, the Vikings primary starters at guard in 2018, are no longer with the team. Prior to Kline’s signing, Minnesota had Danny Isidora and Aviante Collins at that position.

Kline said Thursday that will approach the season with the mentality of having to earn a starting spot in the trenches.

“You have to earn everything you get in this league,” Kline said. “I wouldn’t say I’m the starter right away, but you have to act like you are.

“You have to work your tail off in this league no matter what [because] they’re always trying to replace you,” Kline said. “You always have to keep on working hard, no matter what anyone says.”

Kline could benefit from the fact that he knows Stefanski’s scheme already, and has played in offenses that are similar to what Kubiak is expected to bring on board in Minnesota.

Kline noted that guards in this system have to be tough, physical and somewhat athletic in order to create holes in the running game and protect the quarterback. He also outlined what he expects going forward within the Vikings offense.