New offense nothing new to Marquez Valdes-Scantling

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
roewicixnucskziur5dy

GREEN BAY – Count Marquez Valdes-Scantling among those totally unfazed about the prospect of learning a new offense in 2019.

The process has become practically an annual ritual for the Packers’ second-year receiver anytime he prepares for a new season.

“I had a new offense or new playbook every year when I was in college,” said Valdes-Scantling, who transferred from North Carolina State to South Florida in the middle of his college career before coming to the Packers last season as a fifth-round draft pick.

“Literally every single year I’ve had a new staff or a new offensive coordinator or new playbook, so learning a new offense is nothing to me now. It’s something you have to learn how to do.”

To his credit, he actually does have a specific way he absorbs a new playbook. It involves drawing the plays – and his pass routes in particular – on paper to help commit them to memory.

It functions as a third way to learn. Seeing the play on the electronic tablet and running it in practice are the two everyone does. Drawing it is the extra step he takes, and it speeds up his learning curve.