NOTEBOOK: After Strong 2019, QBs Cousins & Brees to Meet in ‘1-Game Season’

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
knxtpckiux3e8q2bysdi

“Really, this is what we’ve been working toward for a long time. Kind of hit the reset button and begin a new year … and then also begin a new season, if you will, as well,” Cousins said. “It’s a one-game season … and I’m looking forward to that challenge.

“I think I’ve improved as a quarterback and have gained a lot from those four years of playing through a lot of different things,” Cousins later added. “I think there’s just more juice, excitement. There always is, though. But certainly the playoffs bring an intensity that makes it fun.”

The Saints also made it clear they have plenty of respect for Cousins, who completed 307 of 444 passes (69.1 percent) for 3,603 yards with 26 touchdowns and six interceptions in 15 games. His passer rating of 107.4 was a career high and ranked fourth in the NFL. It is the second highest by a Vikings QB in a single season.

“We were in the Pro Bowl together a couple years ago when he was in Washington, and I remember we talked [then],” Brees said. “We’ve spoken on a few occasions during the offseasons – talking shop, talking concepts, that kind of stuff. I do have a lot of respect for him.

“The road he’s traveled – [fourth]-round pick, the same year that they drafted RG3 with the first-round pick – for a guy to come in and really have to earn it every step of the way, I respect that road and what he’s had to earn to put himself in the position he’s in,” Brees added. “And he’s had a great year.”

Added Saints Head Coach Sean Payton: “He’s accurate, he’s got a good deep ball, and he’s going to prepare for the different looks that he sees. He’s someone like Drew that’s going to watch the whole season. He’s going to go back and watch last year.”

“I think you understand you have a football game against a really good team, and you have to go win it. That is really where your focus is and how you go about that. I don’t really need to think about too much else.”

Depending on what the outcome of Sunday’s game is, national pundits and experts alike will be quick to add to the narrative for each player.

Cousins brushed off that notion this week, saying his sole objective was to go into New Orleans and get his first playoff win.

Because when the playoffs arrive, winning is all that matters.

“I think you understand you have a football game against a really good team, and you have to go win it,” Cousins said. “That is really where your focus is and how you go about that. I don’t really need to think about too much else.”