NOTEBOOK: Rudolph’s 1-Handed Grabs Helpful on ‘Our’s or Nobody’s’ Passes

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
balkxftunkuq2arzwrkh

Mattison preparing to start if Cook can’t go

Dalvin Cook said Wednesday that he “feels better than expected” and has plenty of confidence that he will play Sunday against Detroit.

If Cook can’t go or is limited, the Vikings would then turn to rookie Alexander Mattison to carry the load at running back.

Mattison addressed the possibility of starting Sunday, and said he is simply preparing just like any other week.

“I mean, those are things you don’t really think about as much. I expect Dalvin to be back in there, and I hope that he’s healthy going into this game,” Mattison said. “Really, I just have the motivation to go out there and just be there for my teammates, whether it’s playing a lot, whether it’s playing a little, I’m just going to make sure I contribute and make sure I don’t let them down.

“That’s something where I continue to try to prepare myself that way. That’s awesome. It’s humbling to hear that and know that they have that confidence in me, but I just know that I can’t settle for anything. I’m never satisfied,” Mattison added. “So, I’m going to keep pushing, keep being better. This is just year one for me, so there’s nothing but room to improve. I’m just excited to continue to grow with these guys.”

Mattison ranks second on the Vikings in carries (86) and rushing yards (416) and has one rushing touchdown.

Vikings Offensive Coordinator Kevin Stefanski said Thursday that he has plenty of confidence in Mattison, plus others such as Ameer Abdullah and Mike Boone.

“I think you saw at the end of this last ballgame we didn’t have Dalvin and we’re in a two-minute throwing session and not much changes,” Stefanski said. “And really, that’s the drop-off that we see at every position. It can’t be much. We don’t look at it like that.

“We look at as our backups know the game plan and they’re ready to go,” Stefanski added. “Are they the same player as a Dalvin Cook? No. We understand that, but we’re not going to limit ourselves and what we can do without any one of our players.”