Notes: Moncrief gets another shot, GVR's revenge game, Bradberry challenged

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
gz1lsjkeqbhxgq9yce8y

CHARLOTTE – In life and in football, connections are important.

Wide receiver Donte Moncrief is a prime example. The former Steeler was waived after falling out of favor. He struggled to play through a dislocated finger he suffered in training camp, and his Week 1 performance – three catches for seven yards on 10 targets – was one he called his “worst game ever.”

But Carolina wide receivers coach Jim Hostler had worked with Moncrief before in Indianapolis. In 2015 with the Colts, he posted career highs in receptions (64) and receiving yards (733) to go along with six receiving touchdowns. So the Panthers gave him another shot and claimed him off waivers.

“That’s huge, man, to have a coach who coached you up on your best year,” Moncrief said. “Just having him back around feels good.”

Head coach Ron Rivera acknowledged the Hostler-Moncrief relationship when asked about the decision to pick up the former third-round pick from Ole Miss.

And now that he’s fully healthy, Moncrief is hoping for a chance to finish what’s been a tough season on a high note.

“It’s not sore anymore, I can actually squeeze my hand, so I feel like it’s going to be a good season,” Moncrief said. “I’m ready to finish the season strong here.”

GVR revenge game?

Left guard Greg Van Roten was asked questions about Kyle Allen and Christian McCaffrey and the Packers defense.

Then his “revenge game” was finally mentioned and he got a good laugh.

Van Roten’s NFL career started in Green Bay from 2012-13. After starting out on the practice squad, he played in 10 games over that two-year span. He then played 32 games for the Toronto Argonauts in the 2015 and 2016 seasons before coming to Carolina in 2017.

“I’m excited to go back,” Van Roten said. “That’s where my career started. It kind of sputtered before it got going up there. It’s not the same front office when I was there, but definitely excited to go back to where it began.”

Van Roten takes a lot of pride in how much he’s grown as a player since. Now he’s entrenched as a starter with Carolina, opening holes for arguably the league’s best running back.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity Green Bay afforded me at the beginning of my career,” Van Roten said. “I love football and I’m hopefully going to continue to play at a high level.”