Packers GM full of 'optimism going forward'

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
bz6xtrub3srnmvrbixei

GREEN BAY – The offseason already is well underway for General Manager Brian Gutekunst.

Upon returning from scouting the Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala., the Packers GM took both a look back and look forward Friday at the team in a season-ending press conference.

The crux of his message was very similar to that of Head Coach Matt LaFleur two days prior – that there's a lot of pride to be taken in what was accomplished, but the ending was tough to swallow and all eyes are on improvement for 2020, a process that begins immediately for Gutekunst and his personnel department.

"We didn't end the season the way we wanted to end the season, but I'm really excited about the foundation we laid last year, some of the strides we made," Gutekunst said. "I have a lot of optimism going forward. We have a lot of work to do. Excited to get there. We've got a lot of decisions to make coming up."

Some of the first big decisions will involve the Packers' 13 pending unrestricted free agents. Players from the 2016 rookie class like Blake Martinez, Kyler Fackrell and Geronimo Allison are looking for their next contracts, while other long-term veterans such as Bryan Bulaga, Mason Crosby and Tramon Williams have deals expiring as well.

Speaking about the latter three in particular, Gutekunst called it "big-time" for them all to perform the way they did in the later stages of their careers. He acknowledged how much they've meant to the Packers both on the field and in the locker room for a decade or more.

But he didn't commit one way or another to who might or might not be back. He and the scouts will be reviewing the season over the next few weeks and putting a plan in place as free agency approaches.

"I've got a lot of Ted Thompson in me," Gutekunst said. "I'd like to keep them all. I wish our roster size could be a lot bigger than what it is. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way."

If he said anything definitive about a particular player, it was regarding defensive tackle Kenny Clark, noting "it's important" the Packers work out a long-term contract with the 2016 first-round pick this offseason. Clark, who went to his first Pro Bowl this year as an alternate, is entering the fifth-year option on his rookie contract.

"Kenny is a big part of what we do, very important to our defense," Gutekunst said. "I'm optimistic that we'll be able to come to some agreement at some point. These things don't happen quickly, usually."

As for adding new players when free agency opens in March, a repeat of last year's major splash – signing four players on opening day – isn't realistic given the value of those contracts and the desire to retain some of Green Bay's own pending free agents. He did term the Packers' salary-cap situation "sound," so he's not conceding the Packers will be observing strictly from the sideline.