Packers not distracted by Aaron Rodgers situation during OTAs

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
w0jzkvbstvlegnsaxwmm

GREEN BAY – While nothing has changed on the Aaron Rodgers front, Matt LaFleur's message to his players as the Packers began OTAs this week was to focus on themselves.

The common refrain of "control what you can control" was bantered about by those who spoke to the media on Tuesday, and for good reason. The Rodgers situation may not be resolved anytime soon, and the last thing LaFleur wants is for the players who are in Green Bay to be distracted from their opportunity for individual improvement over the next month.

"That is something we did talk about briefly with our team," LaFleur said after Tuesday's 90-minute workout on Clarke Hinkle Field. "I think you've always got to address any of the noise that's out there.

"The message is … try to be the best player each and every day, attack it with the right mindset, a great attitude, great energy and just try to get better as a player."

Rodgers' appearance on Kenny Mayne's final ESPN SportsCenter episode Monday night provided no clarity on what the Packers can do to mend the rift with their franchise quarterback. LaFleur simply reiterated what he said two weeks ago, that the team is continuing to work through this and wants him back.

As for the players who are practicing, which is roughly 90% of the roster, they seem to be heeding LaFleur's advice, insisting Rodgers' absence is not a distraction.

"Everybody has to focus on themselves as far as getting ready to play," safety Adrian Amos said. "Because regardless of what happens, we've got to go out there and the show goes on.

"Everybody has their personal situations, and you support everybody's personal situations, but I'm getting paid to go out there and perform. Regardless of what's going on around me, I'm getting judged by what I do."