Packers truly started at the grassroots level in 1919

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ocwljrzhodox4l4k1tiu

Phyliss from Brownstown, MI

I was wondering if you have any information on Al Petcka. I heard he was my grandmother's cousin.

Like Rosenow, Petcka, 25, was one of the older players on the 1919 team. Although born in Chicago, he had played football at Green Bay East from 1910-12. He also was a veteran of previous amateur and neighborhood teams in Green Bay. Petcka started five games at left tackle for the 1919 Packers. He also played in four games in their second season. Interestingly, I believe you are at least the third person to contact me with some family connection to Petcka.

Michael from Redding, CA

Trying to find more information on my grandfather, George Medley. The family has always thought he played two years for the Packers, 1919-20. Is there any source that might have more information?

George played six games in 1920 and started five at quarterback. He started the first three, missed two, started two of the next three and then didn't play in the last three, so he may have gotten hurt. I know there was a reference or two, or maybe even more, in the Press-Gazette years later identifying Medley as one of the original Packers, but that wasn't the case. Keep in mind, it was almost impossible for writers even as late as the 1950s or early '60s to get their hands on old editions of the Press-Gazette; and then, without an index, it was even more difficult to search for specific information. Thus, they were usually forced to write history from memory and such mistakes were not uncommon. In 1919, the Press-Gazette printed lineups, including subs, for all 11 games and George was never listed, nor was he in the team picture. However, he played with several of the original Packers, including Rosenow, on Green Bay's Northern Paper Mill basketball team in the winter of 1920, only weeks after the 1919 football season ended. That team advanced to play in the national Amateur Athletic Union basketball tournament in Atlanta. Your grandfather was a member of the 1917 Marinette High School team that won what was an unofficial state football championship. And four players from that team – the others were Buff Wagner, Eddie Glick and Sammy Powers – played with the early Packers. Now, can I ask a question: When I was in grade school, a George "Butch" Medley was an all-state back at Green Bay West and later played at Northern Michigan. Was he related to your grandfather?

Lisa from Atlanta, GA

My grandfather, Earl Skogg, played for the Packers (Green Bay City Team). His daughter, my mother, Joan Skogg (now Kaster), worked as a secretary for the Packers. I'd like to get a digital copy of the picture the Packers have on display. My grandfather is the second from the left.

I believe you're talking about the 1917 Green Bay All-Stars team picture in the Pre-Packers section of our Hall of Fame. That picture, taken in the old Hagemeister minor-league ballpark, is owned by the Neville Public Museum, and I believe you can purchase a copy through its website. As I stated, Calhoun joined the Press-Gazette in the spring of 1917 and immediately started organizing leagues and promoting sporting events. The Green Bay All-Stars' 27-0 victory over the Marinette Badgers that year was an example. Calhoun pitched it as the first semi-pro football game in Green Bay history, but it also was that team's first and last game. Curly Lambeau was the star, scoring two of the All-Stars' four touchdowns, the year before he played for Notre Dame. While that team had nothing to do with the Packers, I know your grandfather played at East High School; for the 1915 Green Bay Supply Co. team, one of the city's better amateur outfits pre-Packers; and then in that 1917 game. Going back to his days at East, future Packers Petcka and Wally Ladrow were teammates; and then three other future Packers besides Lambeau played with him on that All-Star team: Nate Abrams, Andy Muldoon and Jim Coffeen. No doubt, your grandfather was of similar ilk as a player. I also think he might have been a good hockey player, too. There were other Skoggs playing on local football and hockey teams, and the Press-Gazette didn't always print first names. But another of Calhoun's endeavors after he joined the Press-Gazette was organizing a city hockey league and a Skogg was one of the better players in the league. As background, Calhoun was a sophomore when he formed the first the first hockey team at his high school in Buffalo, and also served as its goalie and captain.

Timothy from Cupertino, CA

My great uncle, Wally Ladrow, was an early Packers player. One story is that Uncle Wally broke his leg in the first official NFL game against the Bears. His pregnant wife, Alma, made him quit football after that. Is there are any truth to the story?

Here's what I can tell you. Wally played in the Packers' first three non-league games in 1921, then got hurt and didn't play in the next three, although I don't know the nature of his injury. His last game was against Evansville on Nov. 6, the Packers' third APFA game. I don't know if he broke his leg at any point, but the Packers' first league game was against Minneapolis (not the Bears) and the Evansville game was the last for many of the homegrown Packers who got the team off the ground in 1919. They were replaced by new recruits who had some college football and even APFA experience in an effort to compete in what soon became the NFL. The Packers beat Evansville, 43-6, and so 21 players got into the game, whereas no more than 14 played in three of the other five APFA games. A 5-9, 180-pound back, Ladrow played in 10 games with the original Packers and in nine in 1920. He, too, played at East High in 1912. Ladrow also was captain of the Indian Packing baseball team and played for Green Bay's city baseball team in 1921.