Packers WR Darrius Shepherd never stopped believing in himself

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
z6piajyq4hhdvuravzn1

After starting the 2020 season on the practice squad, Shepherd was promoted to the active roster in time for last Sunday's 37-30 win over the New Orleans Saints, playing 23 snaps.

The second-year receiver could factor even more heavily into the Packers' offense moving forward with Adams dealing with a hamstring tweak that sidelined him against the Saints and Allen Lazard now on the mend with a core muscle injury.

Shepherd didn't receive a single contract offer as a college free agent despite winning four NCAA Division I FCS titles at North Dakota State and leaving as the school's second all-time leading receiver.

He led Green Bay with eight receptions for 68 yards and two touchdowns in the 2019 preseason and was the featured kickoff and punt returner for the first two months of the regular season.

Shepherd encountered some adversity during that eight-game stretch, particularly against Detroit in Week 6 when he dropped a pass on the goal line that led to an interception and muffed a punt. He was released on Oct. 29, 2019, but signed to Green Bay's practice squad two days later.

Adams commends Shepherd for not allowing those rookie setbacks to "rattle" him and points to the young receiver's football IQ as an invaluable resource that's helped everyone in the receiver room, the three-time Pro Bowler included.

"I mean, he's blown me away more this year than he did last year, honestly," Adams said. "People kind of assumed he was whatever type of player just based off a couple plays that didn't go his way. The dude is so smart just naturally, and then what he does with it – his focus, the way he helps out other guys on the field – and this is only his second year in the league."