Pagano returns to Indy for cancer fundraiser

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
xn0vxtv1wtaw7vbyrp4m

Pagano was in his first season as Colts head coach in 2012 when he was diagnosed with leukemia. He took a leave of absence after the first four games to undergo treatment and returned for the regular-season finale three months later with his cancer in remission.

Pagano’s battle with the disease led to the creation of the Chuckstrong movement to both support him and raise money for cancer research at the Indiana University Simon Cancer Center, where the veteran coach was treated. Since its inception, the Tailgate Gala has raised enough money for the Cancer Center to hire 12 doctors who specialize in researching leukemia, ovarian cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer and cancer genetics.

According to Pagano, the type of leukemia he had had a 50 percent survival rate 20 years ago. But because of the funds that were raised to research it, the chances of beating the disease are now much better.

“When I was diagnosed, the cure rate was in the low 90s, so I was very lucky,” Pagano said. “That’s why we’re doing what we’re doing and trying to raise money so that it doesn’t matter what type of cancer you get, the odds continue to go up in your favor.”

Pagano’s fight with cancer changed his life.

“It just puts things in perspective,” he said. “I’ve always had pretty good perspective, never really taken any days for granted. But we’re not promised tomorrow. You come through something like this and you get through and see the other side of it, it just gives you a greater appreciation for your health. We don’t bitch and complain about the small stuff. I’m very, very grateful. I’ve got a ton of gratitude.”