Panthers' improvement in three categories leads to win over Cardinals

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
xlsbfqtzvgtwovvlqv9q

Many elements added up to the Panthers' offensive success, perhaps best illustrated by Joseph Charlton's "1" in the punt column in the final gamebook. Carolina recorded 30 first downs — 11 rushing, 17 passing, two via penalty — consistently moving the ball. The offense did not have a three-and-out. Its only possession of fewer than four plays came early in the second quarter when quarterback Teddy Bridgewater threw an interception.

The Panthers finished with a 37:08 to 22:52 advantage in time of possession and ran 17 more plays than the Cardinals.

"Honestly, we wanted to have an aggressive approach," Bridgewater said. "But we just had an opportunity where we kept drives alive, were converting on third downs, and staying on the field."

Carolina's first two drives of 13 and eight plays resulted in touchdowns. Then, after Bridgewater's interception, the Panthers went 10 plays for another touchdown to take a 21-7 lead into halftime.

The club finished the first half 4-of-5 on third down.

"It's a focus. It's something we addressed all week," center Matt Paradis said. "The right play calls from (offensive coordinator Joe) Brady and then just the execution by the entire offense."

Added wide receiver Robby Anderson:

"I think (it was) our O-line. Teddy was able to sit back there, be comfortable, and they did a great job."

Bridgewater largely echoed the same credit when asked why the Panthers were so successful in the red zone. He even ran in his first touchdown since 2015 — before the devastating knee injury that temporarily derailed his career.

"I honestly didn't even think about that," Bridgewater said. "I was just out there trying to play football and trying to score touchdowns in the red zone."