Panthers director of player wellness honored by Oprah Winfrey at UNCF luncheon in Charlotte

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
lygtjxn7vwxaca7cw8gs

CHARLOTTE -- Tish Guerin, the Panthers' first director of player wellness, was one of four honorees at the UNCF (United Negro College Fund) luncheon at the Westin in Uptown Charlotte this past Saturday.

Guerin received the distinguished "Maya Angelou Women Who Lead Award," which is given to leaders who have brought positive recognition locally, statewide and nationally.

The keynote speaker at the event was none other than Oprah Winfrey, which made a memorable day even more unforgettable for Guerin.

"I was super excited to have that honor and hear Oprah's wisdom," Guerin said. "I've always been really passionate about mental health. When Oprah was speaking, she talked about making sure you take care of yourself. She used the analogy of being on an airplane when they say you're supposed to put the mask on yourself before you help others. If you don't, then there's nothing you can do for anybody else. That really spoke to me. We need to make sure we take time out for ourselves and care for ourselves. That has been my mantra since the beginning. She was speaking my language."

It was a packed house for the luncheon, and Oprah brought the crowd to its feet when she announced that she was matching the $1.15 million that had been raised to support historically black colleges and universities.

"It was amazing to be there for that," Guerin said.