Patrick Peterson Ready For 49ers Rematch Despite Calf Issue

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
iu0l9yvf5mydnhrersk3

SHIPLEY, SET FOR 100th GAME, IS ROONEY SPORTSMANSHIP NOMINEE

Starting center A.Q. Shipley was named the Cardinals’ nominee for the Art Rooney Sportsmanship award Wednesday, a choice Shipley evaluated with appreciation and a chuckle.

“I think you try to play the game the right way,” He said. “You understand you’ll see these guys year after year. There’s no reason to be a jerk … all the time.

“I’m usually trying to butter up people. I don’t want them going too hard.”

Meanwhile, Sunday’s game against the 49ers represents a milestone for Shipley. It’ll be his 100th game played in the NFL, a nice total for a former 2009 seventh-round pick who spent his first two seasons on the practice squad and his third out of the NFL after final cuts.

“Looking back on early in my career, you’re looking for that opportunity,” Shipley said. “You don’t know if it is going to come, and one (game) turns into two, two turns into three, and there you are. You keep battling, you keep fighting, you keep grinding. That’s been my mentality my whole career.”

Shipley would’ve reached his total sooner, but he missed all 16 games in 2018 after tearing his ACL – making his return this season despite being 33 more impressive.

“I’ve been able to prove some people wrong, and been able to prove some people right, that it doesn’t always matter about statistics or numbers or arm length,” Shipley said.

DEFENSIVE LINE REMAINS SHORT ON BODIES

The Cardinals still were missing defensive linemen Jonathan Bullard (foot) and Zach Kerr (knee) for part of practice Thursday, although Kerr did return on a limited basis. Fellow defensive lineman Rodney Gunter (calf) was also limited.

Linebacker Terrell Suggs (back/hamstring) and running back Chase Edmonds didn't practice. Limited for the Cardinals aside from Kerr and Gunter were tight end Maxx Williams (illness), cornerback Tramaine Brock (hamstring), Peterson and tackle Justin Murray (knee).

For the 49ers, not practicing were running back Tevin Coleman (non-injury related), kicker Robbie Gould (quad), defensive tackle D.J. Jones (groin), tight end George Kittle (knee/ankle), Sanders and tackle Joe Staley (finger). Limited were defensive end Dee Ford (quad), running back Raheem Mostert (knee), wide receiver Dante Pettis (back), tight end Levine Toilolo (groin) and cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon (foot/quad).

Continue reading...