Penei Sewell to doubters: 'Put on the tape'

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
rcl7tlkis2puduzpiyyk

NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah is one of those who prefers Slater, while pointing out that as good as Sewell is at the moment, he's still a work in progress based on 2019 tape (when, again, he was 19).

"He's explosive, but he still needs to add some strength," Jeremiah said. "In other words, you see him just drive off the ball. You'll see, man, he's quick, he's dynamic with how quick he can get out of his stance. He covers up speed rushers no problem. But in pass protection, sometimes you'll see guys kind of tug and pull him and move him around a little bit.

"He just needs to get a little bit stronger. But he's a young kid at that point in time."

In his year off from football, Sewell said he worked with longtime NFL assistant Paul Alexander, along with former Falcons left tackle Sam Baker, polishing his form.

"I've learned so many different types of little techniques that come along with this game," Sewell said. "I've got with the NFL people, players that played before or coaches that coached in the league for a long time and soaking up the knowledge that they have for me.

"It was just something that I really benefited from this time off. This whole time I've been working on that and being a sponge and also just every day, day in and day out, knowing that I opted out and was sitting out through this time, the next time I have an opportunity to step between those lines, I'm going to make the most of it and that I'm coming with everything that I have. And I'm not coming up short."