Photography Experience ‘Means the World’ to Oncology Nurse Fighting Cancer

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
hqm75prhcznukteaqouw

Ellison appreciated the chance to connect with Erika and watch her dive head-first into the experience.

“Having this platform through the Vikings gives us the opportunity to impact others on a greater level, and seeing the smiles forming on the faces of Erika and her family meant so much to me,” Ellison said. “A number of my family members have either battled cancer or are continuing to battle the disease, so I understand how important it is to find the positives in each situation we face in life. I can tell that Erika is an optimistic and strong woman by the way she held her own down on the sidelines.

“I could sense her excitement from the moment we met; her excitement quickly turned into concentration as the game started and it was time to photograph,” Ellison continued. “During the game, I glanced over and saw her getting in position to capture some game action; I had to take a quick photo of her in her element. She didn’t shy away from the opportunity; she met it head-on and thrived.”

The Vikings game marked Erika’s first experience with sports photography, as she typically focuses on portraits and more intimate moments.

Erika explained that, although she always enjoyed taking photos, she became serious about the craft after her third daughter was born.

“I wanted to take better photographs. I wanted to take memorable ones,” Erika said. “What I like about photography is capturing those moments when people aren’t looking and capturing real life, more so than the posed photographs.

“What I really loved about the Vikings experience is that it brought together my love for photography and my love for the Vikings,” she added. “I got to do everything all at once.”

Erika worked to anticipate different plays and followed Ellison’s suggestions in order to position herself from the best vantage points.

As exciting as the game was, though, the highlight of the day occurred immediately following Minnesota’s 20-7 defeat of Detroit.

“I was down on the sideline by the bigger video board and the game ended, and all the photographers and everybody were rushing the field. And I’m like, ‘Oh my gosh, that’s me – I get to do that!’ I just had that surreal moment,” Erika said. “That was probably one of the best experiences, going out on the field and taking photos of Kirk Cousins and Danielle Hunter and everybody.”