Players agree with Nagy's critique of offense

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
lfhwzamxhyzbbzk9kaa0

Nagy was certainly fired up Friday when he lamented the lack of details.

"When you try to make plays go and when you coach plays schematically, us as coaches and them as players, you need to do everything exactly the way it is supposed to be done," Nagy said at the time.

"So if that means running a route at five steps and not three steps, or if that means running a route at three steps and not seven steps, that has to happen. If it means to set a certain way and block somebody, that's what that means. If it means to throw on a certain time with your feet, do that. If it means to make the right play call at the right time, then do that as coaches—meaning myself.

"We're all in this thing together. But I refuse to allow this to happen. And us as coaches, we're going to use the next couple days here to make sure that whatever we're doing, we're being the greatest teachers we can be. And then on your end as players, you better be the best students you can be. And if you're not, we're going to have to figure something out. That's my challenge to the offense right now.

"Nothing's [a lack of] effort. There's zero [problems with] effort. I love our guys and the effort that they have is phenomenal. None of it is effort. None of it is not caring. But darn it, when you play in this offense, you better be freaking detailed. And we're not a detailed football team on offense right now. And we need to get that back."

Like Robinson, Ifedi had no issues with Nagy's critique of an offense that ranked 26th in the NFL in scoring, 27th in total yards and 30th in third-down percentage after Sunday's games.

"He's completely right," Ifedi said. "I've seen what he's said and it's completely right. If we don't embrace what he said, if we don't take that as a great challenge and something we should wear every day, then we're wrong. We have to be better. We have to be more detailed."

Speaking specifically about the offensive line, Ifedi believes the unit must look in the mirror, be critical of itself and then correct its mistakes.

"We have to hold ourselves accountable and be more detailed," Ifedi said. "And then things will start to come. Things will start breaking, that big run. Those [explosive plays] will come. But we can't shoot ourselves in the foot. We can't be behind the chains. We can't miss assignments. We can't have bad technique. You have to do things right."