Pre-Draft Workout Provided Hint Of Eno Benjamin's NFL Future

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
azsm5gocf3tyuskkaqdp

Drake will be the starter. Edmonds, who starred in a 126-yard, three-touchdown performance in New York last season, will get a chance to be No. 2. Benjamin will attempt to supplant another former Sun Devil, D.J. Foster, as No. 3.

"We wanted to bring in a young guy who could learn from two backs we are very high on, be a productive part of the team," Kingsbury said. "We think Eno fits that need."

Benjamin cited Edmonds' role when Drake and Johnson were on the roster as his goal, doing whatever might be needed and the knowledge he has to earn such a spot.

He does like the idea that he knows Kingsbury some, with the coach having recruited Benjamin in high school when Kingsbury was coaching at Texas Tech. Kingsbury has joked a few times about drafting players that had turned him down when he was recruiting them in college, a notion that made Benjamin smile.

[READ: BENJAMIN KNOWS HE'S "MOST HATED" IN TUCSON]

"I think I'm a guy who is all about relationships," Benjamin said. "I don't burn those. There are a lot of coaches who, I didn't go to their school, but I think I still have really good relationships with, who from time to time I reach out to or they reach out to me wishing me luck. He was one of those guys.

"The fact he recruited me and now he's able to come back and get me in the league is phenomenal."

It won't hurt that Benjamin, as limited as it might have been, has had some interaction with new teammates. (Benjamin hasn't met Drake in person, but Drake did reach out to him after he was drafted to welcome him to the team.)

"We never talked about being teammates but I think he's a great addition," Kirk said. "I think his best attribute is his contact balance. He never goes down from the first hit.

"I've watched him his whole career and I'm happy to have him on the team."

Continue reading...