Presser Points: Spielman Anticipates Diggs as a Viking, Additional Progress from Cousins in 2020

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
uvxhczfkmm56wznko7tp

2. O-Line observations and look ahead

The Vikings offensive line in 2019 looked a little different than the previous season.

Minnesota used its first-round pick to draft Garrett Bradbury, who started at center from day one. Pat Elflein moved to left guard, and the Vikings added right guard Josh Kline in free agency. Riley Reiff and Brian O'Neill remained at left and right tackle, respectfully.

Spielman said the offensive line is "still a work in progress" heading into 2020, but he also acknowledged the unit's steps forward.

"I think when we went to the outside zone, there are specific guys that have to have specific physical traits that we're looking for. I think that'll be an area that we continue to try to improve," Spielman explained. "But we made tremendous strides from last year, and I give a lot of credit to Gary Kubiak, and I give a lot of credit to Rick Dennison and Andrew Janocko for what they did to develop those guys.

"I think we have two really good, cornerstone-type players in Brian O'Neill and Bradbury, and I think we're going to continue to grow and develop that," he continued. "Because to me, all the passing and everything in this league, you're going to win up front in the trenches, both on the offensive and defensive side."

3. Appreciation for Cook-Mattison duo

Alexander Mattison made an impact for Minnesota as a rookie.

The Vikings drafted the running back out of Boise State last April, and Mattison relieved Cook from time to time earlier in the season and stepped in when the Pro Bowler battled a couple of injuries later in the year.

Spielman called the Vikings "very fortunate" to have a running back duo like Cook and Mattison.

"I know when Dalvin went down last year and Mattison had to play, we really didn't lose much on offense," he said.